You can do a whole lot of things with journeys. Automatically send welcome messages to new subscribers? Check. Send VIP subscribers exclusive info on an upcoming drop? Also check. Send triggered, transactional messages to subscribers confirming that their order was confirmed on your Shopify store? That’s right, check. Use your event data to create custom journey triggers? Believe it or not, also check.
See each of the sections below for some inspiration on how to get started. Each section includes links to other articles where you can learn how to build each type of journey, as well as use cases and best practices.
Not sure which type of journey makes the most sense for your goals? Reach out to your CSM!
With an eCommerce integration or the Product Data API, you can input product data to incorporate product attributes in your subscriber segments or journey branches. This allows you to create product-change triggered journeys. For more information, see Use your product data in Attentive.
Convert browsers into buyers
Chances are, some of the people visiting your store are looking at products -- or even adding them to their cart -- but aren’t completing the purchase. Use these journeys to boost your conversion rates.
If you send subscribers who viewed a product on your store an offer, they’re more likely to return and complete the purchase. This works even better if you message subscribers who added something to their cart but didn’t make a purchase.
- Create a new journey and select the Browse Abandonment or Cart Abandonment prebuilt journey. Make sure to add an offer to the message!
Welcome new subscribers with special offers
Engaging with subscribers at key moments and give them incentives to visit your store more often, and you’ll see casual shoppers transform into fervent advocates.
When you reach out to new subscribers with a welcome message, it gives you the chance to further define your brand, send introductory discount codes, and give readers a taste of what’s coming.
- Create a new journey and select the Welcome New Subscribers prebuilt journey. If you add an offer or a discount code, you’ll see better results.
Boost revenue by sending follow-up messages and offers after a purchase
If a subscriber hasn’t made a second purchase after a set number of days since their last purchase, send a discount code to encourage re-engagement. Or send a discount code right after a purchase to encourage a follow up. The post-purchase possibilities are endless!
- First, check out post-purchase journey use cases and decide what you want to build, and then review post-purchase best practices. Then, create a new journey and select the Post Purchase prebuilt journey.
Improve conversions by adding special offers to journeys
It’s one thing to message a subscriber at just the right time, and wholly another -- and better -- thing to send them a special offer on exactly the item they wanted most from your store.
- First, check out some of the main use cases for offers in journeys to help decide what you want to build. Then, create a new journey and select the right prebult journey. Don’t forget to add an offer to one of the messages!
Send subscribers transactional updates about their Shopify orders
Unlike promotional messages that send subscribers discounts or other incentives to complete purchases, transactional messages keep subscribers up to date on the status of their orders. Shopify and ReCharge transactional messages let you build journeys that notify subscribers when their order or subscription was confirmed, canceled, refunded, and more.
- First, check out What are transactional journeys? To learn about what you can (and can’t!) do with transactional messages. Then, create a new journey and use one of the Shopify prebuilt journeys.
Send transactional messages to subscribers about their ReCharge subscription
If you’re using ReCharge to manage subscriptions for your business, you can build journeys that send subscribers transactional messages about their subscription. For example, send messages to confirm that a subscriber has begun their subscription or that they have an upcoming charge.
- First, check out What are transactional messages? To learn about what you can (and can’t!) do with transactional messages. Then, create a new journey and use one of the ReCharge prebuilt journeys.
Send special offers or messages to subscribers who viewed, bought, or added specific items to their cart
With branching on product data, you can send subscribers different types of messages depending on which products they interacted with in your store, and how. For example, if a subscriber purchases a sweater, they enter a post-purchase journey that sends them another message highlighting a complementary product like a matching jogger.
- First, check out What is branching on product data? And branching on product data use cases to get an idea of how branching on product data works and get inspiration. Then, create a new journey using either the Browse Abandonment, Cart Abandonment, or Post-Purchase prebuilt journey.
Have two-way conversations with subscribers
Conversational journeys let you build dynamic, two-way conversations between you and your subscribers. When subscribers reply to one of your messages with a keyword, conversational journeys automatically send them recommendations, additional product details, special offers and more. You can fully customize both the keywords that trigger conversational replies, as well as the content of each reply.
- First, check out Create a conversational journey to learn about how conversational journeys work. You’ll also want to check out Define and collect custom attributes, which will give you a far broader range of segments you can send messages to. Once you’re ready, create a new journey, and add a Send conversational text message step to it. Then, use the Add custom attribute step to collect custom attributes.