You can view past versions of journeys in the Attentive UI. When viewing past versions of journeys, you can restore a previous journey version as the draft, clone a version to create a new journey, and end the journey for subscribers en route in a specific version.
For example, let’s say you make some changes to a journey for the holidays. You can use journey version management to restore the previous, “non-holiday” version of the journey instead of creating a completely new journey. Or let’s say someone makes changes to a journey, but you prefer the way the journey worked before those changes were made. With journey version management, you can reuse that prior version.
What are journey versions?
Journey version management allows you to view, clone, or restore previously active versions of a journey.
All journeys are made up of different versions, or specific workflows. In Attentive, journeys have one of four statuses: Draft, Active, Scheduled, and Inactive. At any point, each journey can only have one draft and one active version.
When you start building a new journey—or create one from a prebuilt journey—that journey starts in Draft status. After you activate the journey, the journey moves to Active status. Your newly-active journey is now the first version of this journey. Subscribers only enter the active version of a journey.
When you want to make changes to an active journey, you can edit that journey, which creates a new draft version. For those changes to go into effect, you must turn on that draft version. At that point, the draft version becomes the new active version and the previously active version becomes inactive. Your journey now has two versions: the current, active version and the previous, inactive version.
While subscribers may be en route within the inactive journey, no new subscribers will enter that version. They'll only enter the currently active version.
You can also view and manage scheduled journey versions.
Manage journey versions
Follow these steps to manage your journey versions:
- On the Journeys tab, find and open the journey you want to manage.
- Click the three dots in the top right corner; then click See version history.
The Version history panel slides out from the right. If you’re currently editing a journey, a Draft tag appears for your current draft version. An Active tag appears for the currently active version of the journey. All other versions of the journey are Inactive.
- Click a version to view that version in the journey builder. If you click an active or inactive version, performance metrics for that version also appear in a panel on the left.
Click the three dots to the right of a journey version’s name to manage that version.
Depending on the version’s status, you can do the following:
- Edit draft: On draft versions, choose this option to exit version history and edit the journey.
- Edit schedule: On scheduled versions, choose this option to edit the version's schedule.
- Back to active version: On active versions, choose this option to exit version history and return to the active version.
- Restore as the draft: On active and inactive versions, choose this option to restore the selected version as a new draft that you can continue to edit.
- Make a copy as a new journey: On draft, active, and inactive versions, choose this option to create a completely new journey using this version.
- End version for subscribers en route: On inactive versions, choose this option to remove any subscribers en route within that version of the journey. This option can be helpful if you recently created a new version of the journey and allowed subscribers to remain in that previous version of the journey, but you later decide you want to remove subscribers from that previous version.
Depending on the version’s status, some of the actions above also appear as buttons at the bottom of the Version history panel.