You can set a date and time to activate a new journey or journey version. For example, you can schedule updates to a browse or cart abandonment journey to coincide with the start of a sale or special event.
- A journey can only have one schedule at a time.
- Welcome journeys (email or text) can’t be scheduled because they’re triggered by scheduled sign-up units.
- Transactional journeys can’t be scheduled.
- Once active, a scheduled journey remains active indefinitely. However, you can use journey versions and a new schedule to restore the previous version. You can also create and schedule a new draft journey. For example, let’s say you schedule updates to a journey that change message copy to include holiday messaging. Once those changes are active, you can restore the previous version of the journey as a draft and schedule it to end after the holiday period. You could also create a draft with entirely new messaging and schedule those changes to take effect after the holiday. See the Restore and schedule prior journey version section below for more information.
Schedule a journey
Follow these steps to schedule a journey:
- From the Journeys page, create or edit a journey.
- Click Schedule in the upper right corner. If a schedule is already active, click Edit schedule.
The Schedule journey popup appears.Note: A warning popup appears in certain scenarios, for example when creating a new cart abandonment journey when one is already active.
- In the Schedule journey popup, complete the following:
- Entry frequency: Set the minimum amount of time that must pass before subscribers can enter the journey again.
Schedule name: Enter a name for the journey schedule. For example:
- When to turn on: Select a date and time in the future that the journey should be turned on.
- If you’re scheduling a draft version of an already active journey, choose what happens to subscribers already in that journey at the scheduled time. You can either end the current journey version for subscribers already in the journey or let those subscribers complete it.
- When finished, click Schedule journey at the bottom of the popup.
Your journey is now scheduled. On the Journeys page, a Scheduled label appears for journeys that have been scheduled. Hover over the Scheduled label to see the schedule’s name activation time.
Restore and schedule a prior journey version
Once a scheduled journey is active, follow these steps to restore a previous version of the journey:
- Once your new scheduled journey is active, open the journey you want to restore from the Journeys page.
- Click the three dots in the top right corner, then click See version history.
The Version history panel slides out from the right.
- Click the three dots next to the journey version you want to restore and schedule, then click Restore as the draft.
- Review your new draft journey, make updates if needed, then click Schedule in the upper right.
Note: If you restore a previous version as a draft and find the Schedule option grayed out, make a small edit and save it (like adding and then removing a space from message copy and then saving) to enable scheduling. This can happen, for example, when you want to restore a previous version of the journey without making any changes to that version.
- Complete the fields in the Schedule journey popup (see step 3 in the section above for more details).
You can choose to restore a different version by following the steps above. You can also create an entirely new version by clicking Back to journey and creating and scheduling a new journey version.