With the Shopify integration, you can use Attentive’s campaigns and journeys to send SMS messages to your Shopify customers. Welcome journeys are an effective way to send messages to your Shopify customers who recently opted in to receive messages from you. This article describes how to enable the marketing SMS opt-in option in Shopify and how to send a welcome journey in Attentive to your Shopify subscribers.
Before you begin
Before you can set up marketing messages for Shopify, you must meet the following requirements:
- You need to have an existing Shopify or Shopify Plus account.
- The Shopify integration must be connected.
- You must be using the Attentive public app in Shopify. If you're currently using the private app, see Migrate from Attentive private app to public in Shopify.
Important! If you previously modified your Shopify Plus theme with custom code, we recommend that you remove the Attentive checkout checkbox in Shopify in order to use Shopify’s built-in checkbox.
Steps in Shopify
Step 1. Enable SMS marketing
Complete the following steps to enable the SMS Marketing settings in Shopify:
- Sign in to your myshopify.com account.
- Go to Settings > Checkout.
- In the Marketing options section, select the SMS checkbox.
- Click Save.
For more information, see Collecting customer contact information.
When users subscribe to receive marketing messages, you can find the list of subscribers in the Accepts Marketing tab on the Customers page in Shopify.
(Optional) Update SMS marketing checkbox copy
If you plan to provide an offer or discount code for users who opt in, we recommend that you add that copy to the SMS checkbox label.
To change the marketing opt-in checkbox copy in Shopify, complete the following steps:
- From your Shopify site, go to Settings > Checkout.
- In the Marketing options section, click the Customize sign-up labels link.
The Theme content page displays.
- In the Checkout marketing section, update the Accept sms checkbox label field with your desired copy.
- Click Save.
The marketing SMS opt-in checkbox appears. Customers can select the checkbox and enter their phone number in the field, as shown in the following image:
Steps in Attentive
Step 2. Confirm that data syncing is enabled in Attentive
After you’ve enabled the Shopify integration, you must confirm that the data syncing setting is enabled so that when subscribers opt in through Attentive or Shopify, that data is synchronized between both platforms.
To confirm that data syncing is enabled:
- Navigate to the integrations setup page and locate the Shopify tile.
- Click Shopify > Settings.
- Confirm that the Collect SMS marketing subscribers at checkout setting is enabled.
Note that you must view the Shopify Subscriber Collection Terms and Conditions.
- Click Save.
Step 3. Create a sign-up unit and assign the welcome journey
Complete the following steps to create a sign-up unit and assign the welcome journey to it:
- Go to the Sign-up Units tab.
- Click + Create sign-up flow.
The Create sign-up flow window appears.
- Click Build custom; then click Continue.
The Create sign-up flow page appears.
Note: You don't need to enter a name for this sign-up unit. It's automatically named Shopify Checkout Checkbox Shopify Marketing template in Step 5 below.
- Click the Integrations tab.
- Select the Shopify Marketing template.
- Click Create.
The Add an offer and a welcome journey page appears.
- (Optional) Select an Offer to add a promotional discount. See Offers for more details.
- Click the SMS Welcome Journey drop-down and do one of the following:
- Select the name of an existing journey.
- Create a new welcome journey within this flow.
- Click Save and continue.
The Review your sign-up unit page appears.
- Review your sign-up unit to confirm that the configuration is correct.
- Click Done.
The Activate sign-up unit window appears.
- Click Activate.
Your sign-up unit and welcome journey for Shopify are now activated.